Sunday, December 14, 2014

Barcelona potpourri

Children chasing bubbles in Parc de la Ciutadella

I think I've been clear about our feelings for Barcelona: Both Ken and I put it right at the top of the list of favorite cities, (or nearly at the top for me, as I'm still going steady with Paris). Admittedly, we have A LOT MORE of the world to see, and I wouldn't be surprised if a visit to Venice, Lisbon, Bruges, or Oslo were to give the Catalonia capital a run for its euros.

For my third and final installment of Barcelona highlights, I let the pictures do most of the talking.

In 14-hundred and 92 ...


Christopher Columbus has fallen out of favor in much of the world,
but in Barcelona, Mirador de Colomb (Monument a Colóm) still has
its place of honor at the base of les Rambles (las Ramblas).

Detail on the monument of Christopher Columbus

Statues and such

I wish I could identify all these sculptures. Yeah, I know, I should have taken better notes. 

Our tour bus stopped here: in Montjuïc, maybe?


Angel with a star on his head

Man with a bird on his head

Modern art in the Gràcia neighborhood

Francesc Macià monument in Plaça de Catalunya

Barcelona's Arc de Triomf was the main access gate for the 1888 Universal Exhibition.

Parc de la Ciutadella

Like the Arc de Triomf, above, Parc de Ciutadella was built for the 1888 Universal Exhibition. Several prominent (some rather run down) structures from the exhibition and an amazing fountain remain. Barcelona's zoo, the Catalan Parliament, the Museu d'Art Modern, and the Museu de Geologia also are located here.

The Umbracle is home to tropical plants.

The winter garden, L'Hivernacle

Perhaps the park's most prominent features is the Cascada fountain, designed by Antoni Gaudi. This is a picture of the top of the fountain.

Gaudi's simple, understated style

Pretty tourists pose with wooly mammoth


Me, happy to be here, but sad it's our last day in Barcelona

On the waterfront

Large lobster in Port Vell

Modern sculpture along Port Vell

Gravity-defying glass building along Barcelona's port

Dramatic road shoulder in Port Vell

Top of Tibidabo

We didn't go to the top of Barcelona's highest point, but I managed to take this picture
(one of my favorites). To the right of Sacred Heart church is Parc d'Attractions.  

To market, to market

The Mercat de la Boqueria is the most popular of Barcelona's food markets.
The iron-and-glass hall was built in the early 1900s.

Fresh fruit cocktails

I don't recall ever seeing burritos like these.

Inside the Mercat de la Boqueria


... And remember ...




Words to live by.



No comments:

Post a Comment